Unusual gift ideas
When you want do make it special
Looking for unusual gift ideas? Something extra special for that special person, or something different to make an ordinary occasion extraordinary? We like to think that gifts don't necessary have to be things, but experiences, skills and hobbies. Those gifts fit really well in here.
Keep in mind that something you want yourself can often make a good gift for someone else. Is there something you always wanted to learn, or do? Perhaps that would be an ideal gift for the receiver?
Anyway, check out these unusual gift ideas:
- Cooking and food - learning to cook, or expanding ones repertoire with other cuisines, is something lots of people would love. Or how about a wine tasting class?
- Arts and crafts - knitting, pottery, embroidery, painting, music, and other arts and crafts would be something many people would like to know, but just haven't got around to it yet. Help them get started by giving a gift set, basic equipment, or an entry at a class nearby.
- Hunting and fishing - both of these are for the outdoor enthusiast. Maybe a hunting guide, a casting class, or a fishing rod, or maybe being brought out to that great fishing spot you know.
- Mushroom picking - this is another great hobby for anyone interested in the outdoors and food. But you have to know whats what, to avoid poisonous mushrooms and get those really tasty ones. Mmmm!
- How about a glider flight? This is a really extraordinary gift. Get in touch with your local glider club, and ask what they charge for a flight. Ordinarily, they will be happy to take you flying at cost, they need their flight hours anyway.
- Extreme driving - Get in touch with your local race track, and book an hour of wild driving in fast paced race cars. If you really want to blow them away, get a professional driver to take them for a spin. Remember to bring a barf bag!
- Parachuting - That says it all. ;) We haven't dared yet, but if you know someone who might like it, why not?
- A tattoo or piercing - For the right person, it doesn't get much more personal than this. They will always remember you by this.
- A photo album - with pictures from a long time ago, or from a special time. If you have a single photo that is really great, you can get it printed in a larger frame, or perhaps even on a t-shirt?
- A personal video - with footage from childhood, when you were students together, with greetings from old friends, colleagues, etc, or something else special. This will probably require some expertise, so plan this well! Don't forget to incorporate some stock video to make it look more professional!
- What about a RepRap - a Replicating Rapid Prototyper? This is a gift that will keep on giving, but the recipient better be a techie! And expect them to spend lots of time on their new hobby!